At the beginning of the year, we were informed that we would be rotating to Ismaning to participate in the server exchange.
Due to the high Corona cases, we had to spend the first of the two weeks planned for this project in Weikersheim.
During the first week, we learned all about servers, how they work, what components are part of the server room, and how to plan a server replacement. At the end of the week, we gave a presentation about the exchange process to our instructors.
On Monday morning, we finally made our way to Ismaning and arrived there for lunch.
After that, we went to see the new servers and started preparing the tools and cables we needed to remove and install the new servers.
The next day, the official removal of the old servers began. The servers were first put into maintenance mode to perform server unwiring. The cables that were no longer needed were removed, the servers were disassembled, and finally the rails were removed from the rack.
This process was carried out for each server according to the planned sequence. After that, the new servers could be installed, wired and put into operation.
Meanwhile, documentation was created using Confluence and the existing documentation was updated.
I found the project challenging and very instructive. Especially through the competent support of our trainer, we were able to learn a lot and had a great insight into the activities of a system integrator.